Phenomenal Woman
by Maya Angelou
Pretty women wonder where my secret lies
I'm not cute or built to suit a model's fashion size
but when I start to tell them
they think I'm telling lies.
I say
It's in the reach of my arms
the span of my hips
the stride of my steps
the curl of my lips.
I'm a woman phenomenally
Phenomenal Woman
that's me.
I walk into a room just as cool as you please
and to a man the fellows stand or
fall down on their knees
then they swarm around me a hive of honeybees.
I say
It's the fire in my eyes
and the flash of my teeth
the swing of my waist
and the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman phenomenally
Phenomenal Woman
that's me.
Men themselves have wondered what they see in me
They try so much but they can't touch
my inner mystery.
When I try to show them they say they still can't see.
I say
It's in the arch of my back
The sun of my smile
The ride of my breasts
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman phenomenally
Phenomenal Woman
that's me.
Now you understand just why my head's not bowed
I don't shout or jump about or have to talk real loud
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say
It's in the click of my heels
The bend of my hair
The palm of my hand
The need for my care.
'Cause I'm a woman phenomenally
Phenomenal Woman
that's me.

1 comment:
I saw her read this aloud on television a few weeks ago .. it was even more phenomenal! At 81 years old she is aging but she still has her finger on the pulse of what we each need to own to realize our personal phenomenal-ness.
Post a Comment