Friday, August 29, 2008

Random thoughts with a common thread

Random thoughts strung together with the common thread of Barack Obama.

My reaction to recent articles emailed by a friend about what Obama HAD to say in his acceptance speech on August 28, 2008 was the thought that people want Obama to be something he isn't. He's not going to viciously attack McCain, but he will put forth the records. And it won't be all laid out for us ... we'll have to do some of that research ourselves. Watching him through the primary season proved that over and over. He didn't back down from negative ads and he also didn't stoop to that level.

I know that I have more of a surface knowledge of his policies and plans than others who have done a lot more research. I have heard him speak about the tax breaks and the health care plan and the education plan and the repairing of foreign relations and the talking with our adversaries as well as our friends and taking a firm stand with both. Plus, I've heard the basics of how he will accomplish and pay for said plans. Have I done the research to "know it all"? NO. I've not. I also know that the info is available. Yet, I've heard enough to supplement my facts with faith.

I didn't get on the Obama bandwagon four years ago when he delivered a keynote speech at that convention. Yes, I voted him into Senate, but I wouldn't say I was a promoter. My "love affair" began when I read (or heard via audiobook) "The Audacity of Hope". That was when I realized how hope-less I was with regards to the political system. I was one of those people who voted without really thinking that anything would change. I had fallen into the trap that ALL politicians were greedy and had forgotten the promises laid out in the Constitution. I didn't think that my vote didn't count but I did think that it didn't matter. Lobbyists and greed would steal my vote.

Barack Hussein Obama helped to shift my perspective.

He's made me HEAR some of the "rights and responsibilities" talk that surrounds us - a lot of it by our dear friend Wendy! I heard Barack say that he would be willing to take the heat in the White House if we were willing to do what it takes to make a change. I heard him say - without using the words - that he believes in a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Now, he may have used those words later, but that was my translation. He made me have hope that THIS time, it really could be different. That my vote really could matter.

In his speech last night, one of the points he hit upon was that he does NOT believe that government can nor should fix it all. That is very very true. He believes - and I believe this holds true for democrats in general - that government is there with a supportive hand on your back encouraging you to move forward and yet will offer that same hand to pull you up when you've fallen and can't get a grip. Cliche as it sounds, that's a hand UP, not a hand OUT.

And what really moved me yesterday was listening to Barack Obama encouraging me - Denise Herrera - that I could do anything I want if I put my mind to it. I was struck by how his words - to me - were as encouraging as any conscious adult could be to another adult or child. What I heard him say last night was that THIS country offers me the opportunities that many people 'across the pond' or 'across the river' yearn for -- and I need to work for it if I want it. Obama makes me think ... makes me feel that it really is possible and it won't come easy. Yet there is a payoff for hard work. Just as when Wendy tells - or shows - me these same words, I believe it. Does that mean that I've taken advantage of opportunity? Does that mean that I've passed along that belief to Andrew? Does that mean I will do it now?

What it does mean is that I - like so many others this campaign - have gotten more involved than ever before. I've read more articles, listened to more political radio shows, watched more political TV than I EVER have before. I am basing a large part of my support for Obama purely on instinct and faith and often I have found myself shying away from sharing that ... after all, where are the cold, hard facts? I have listened to people share their views about Obama and back them up with actual records and quotes of what he's done and said. Me? I have surface facts and a deep belief that this man IS genuine in his love of the American promise. That this man IS a great orator that can and will lead a nation to improve - not by his strength alone but by us all working together. That this man IS someone America can be proud of. That this man will represent us in the world theater in a manner that will bring dignity and respect to the USA. That this man IS the chance we've been waiting for.

We cannot waste this chance!

No comments: